INFORMATION SHEET FOR PARENTS OF LEAVING CERT STUDENTS
“Plan your success-Now!”
6th Year is a time of hope and often some anxiety for both students and parents. It is vital that students plan their time to make the most of the year. As parents you play an important role this year in supporting your daughter. We ask you to be actively involved in assisting her to set goals and to manage and organise her time.
Throughout this year stay involved and please ‘check in’ regularly with her.
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE Coming to school every day is essential in 6th year. Students should not take unnecessary days or half days off school as course work covered by teachers each day is very difficult to catch up on when missed.
PART-TIME JOBS We strongly discourage part-time work on school nights during term time. It is difficult to be successful in 6th year if doing homework late into the night after work or working long hours over the weekend.
Key targets dates:
We advise personal study (revision) should be started now in September to avoid cramming thus reducing anxiety and stress.
1st term Assessments Completed by 4rd Dec 2013
Mock Exams – 3rd February 2014
Oral Exams- March/April 2014(Orals are part of the Leaving Cert.)
Leaving Cert Exam begins- Wed 4th June 2014
MAKING CAREER DECISIONS
It is vital that your daughter puts a great deal of thought and research into her future career options. Each 6th year has been allocated a career guidance interview. It is your daughter’s responsibility to research options and to seek relevant information available from the colleges and other bodies. Follow up career interviews are available.
An Information Evening (7.30-9.30pm) for parents and students on entry procedures to courses after the Leaving Cert. will be held on Wednesday 27th Nov 2013.
All 6th yrs have attended a study skills seminar on 2nd September. The focus was on note making, active learning styles and realistic revision planners.
Students need to include regular revision as well as homework each night.
Proper diet, regular exercise, other activities and time to relax should be encouraged and are vital as they provide a balance to the hours of study in this highly stressful year.
A certain amount of stress can help to bring out their best performance in 6th year but excessive stress can be damaging. Working outside of school, having too many extra- curricular activities, unrealistic expectations or not managing study can lead to overload.
Symptoms include; tension & irritability, disturbed sleep pattern, withdrawal, absenteeism, poor timekeeping, low morale and physical disorders such as ulcers, skin & dietary problems.
We would encourage students to:
1) Make school a priority for the next 9 months
2) Organise a study plan now in September!
3) Maintain a balanced lifestyle----relax, eat and sleep well, take some exercise.
4) Plan some time off at the weekend
5) Practise relaxation techniques like breathing exercises, meditation etc.
6) Recognise distress signals and get help early to cope.
7) Talk to someone at home or at school.
The school is here to support your daughter in every way we can throughout the year and we wish your daughter every success in her endeavours.
Mrs B. Cogley Mr K. Gilshinan Ms B. Kavanagh Ms M. Kennedy
PRINCIPAL YEAR HEAD GUIDANCE COUNSELLORS
- Contact Us
- Extra Curricular
Information for Parents
- Parents Council
- Fundraiser for Wexford Womens refuge
- Irish excellence
- Awards time
- Deutschmobil zooms into the Presentation School
- French Exchange 2014
- German exchange proves to be a great success
- SciFest 2014 >
- Awards time
- Basketball champions
- Basketball champions
- Football update
- St. Vincent de Paul Hamper collection
- Programmes Offered
- School Information
- Student Sites
- Supervised Study
Transition Year 2013-2014
- Build a Bank
- TY Big Bank Theory - Launched!
- Carlingford adventure trip
- Cycle against Suicide leadership conference
- Dame Mary Peters
- Fundraising policy
- Junk Kouture 2014
- Mini Company
- Road Safety Awareness week
- Rotary Club Sand Dam Project-Fundraising
- St Vincent de Paul
- The plough and the stars - TY play
- Walk in my shoes 2014
- Transition Year 2012-2013 >
- Transition Year 2011-2012 >
- HPV Vaccine
- Christmas Carol Service 2011
- Cycle Against Suicide - 23/4 >
- Footloose - The Musical
- Making a Film
- Archived sports material >
- Transition Year 2013-2014 >
- In memory of Ms. Walsh
- Trick or Treat